Protect Your Family

Protect your family against accidental electrical contact or shock by practicing the following safety guidelines:

  • Do not overload electrical outlets.
  • Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, outdoor receptacles, and other water access areas.
  • Do not place electrical appliances near water holding and water storage areas.
  • Cover all unused wall outlets with safety covers
  • Replace burned-out bulbs in lamps and fixtures with the properly rated wattages for that item to prevent overheating and risk of fire.
  • Do not leave lamp sockets empty. Replace bulbs immediately.
  • Use an adapter with a ground tab for a three-pronged plug. Never attempt to remove the third prong.
  • Avoid extension cords as a permanent means for wiring. Only use them temporarily.
  • Do not connect multiple extension cords together.
  • Never run extension cords underneath rugs, carpets, or furniture. Walking on cords can lessen the durability of the cord and possibly cause a fire.
  • Replace faulty electrical products.
  • Never leave small appliances such as hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, radios, and TVs within the reach of small children and pets.
  • Never use a fork or knife to remove food objects from a toaster.
  • Keep heating pads and electric blankets on relatively low settings to avoid overheating. Never tuck in the sides or ends of an electric blanket.